Friday, October 5, 2012

Fall colors

We went camping this week to one of our favorite State campgrounds.  While we have been in a drought, they have had a little more rain this year than we have.  I was once told, that there would be better Fall colors when there was more rain.  I imagine the trees will change more in a couple of weeks, but after sitting in the trailer during a hail storm and rain yesterday, we'll be satisfied with what we got to see.

This is from the observation deck overlooking the Missouri River.  The tan land in the distance was farmland, but after last years flood, the farmers have spent this year moving the sand and silt from their land.  It will be many years before they can plant again.



The sun bleached out this thick bunch of Sumac.  It was a brilliant red.


We only saw two deer while we were there, but the Turkeys were plentiful


Last year, there was substantial flooding along the Missouri River and a lot of damage was done to the Park.  There is so much silt washed up into what was formerly grassy areas and many trees died, as you can see in the background.  The Beavers certainly were busy!!  I didn't know they would/could chew trees that large.  If they thought they could dam up the Missouri . . . they were mistaken.




I think I like the splashes of yellow the most


We didn't get any pictures of them, but there were a lot of Bluebirds sitting on their boxes.  There were also a lot of immature Red Headed Woodpeckers, but the Hummingbirds have gone until next Spring.


This tree was so pretty - notice the moon to the left of it?


I don't know what kind it was, but here is a close up of the leaves and the seed pod like things it had on it


September and October is a fun time at the park.  They have campsite decorating contests every weekend, haunted hay rides, and many other activities.  There are Fall decorations throughout the park




I hope you are enjoying Fall in your part of the country.  This week has been a little too cool for me, but I hope to get in the garden and continue with my clean up.

2 comments:

  1. That looks like a fun park with all the contests and the gorgeous fall color. Enjoyed the post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, what beautiful views! I can't go camping anymore, because I can't breathe near campfires.

    ReplyDelete