Monday, October 3, 2011

Changes, visitors, final bloomers and plans . . .


I wish I would have taken a picture of the Redbud tree when it was all in bloom, but now it is putting on it's Fall show.  From purple buds, to green leaves, to yellow leaves.

Our Red Jade Crabapple has gone from being covered with white flowers ~


To now offering berries to the birds ~


There has been such a change in my Japanese Blood Grass, Sand Love Grass, and Sedum Autumn Joy - these pictures were taken 2 weeks apart ~



We haven't seen the Hummingbirds since September 23, but they'll be back next year.  We did have a larger visitor over the weekend though.  This Cooper's Hawk has been hanging around the backyard hoping to catch something to eat.  To give you an idea how large it is - the rabbit beside it is 9 inches tall.


Our next visitor came Sunday.  This is a Red Tailed Hawk that had caught a squirrel and was eating it in the parkway in front of our house.  He is one B I G bird!!


I also went to a sale this weekend.  It's a great place to find old 'stuff' for the yard.  I picked up this old garden cart for half price ~


I have been looking for one for years!  I have admired one I see when I take my walks.  In this photo, they have cosmos and ground cover.  There have been years when they have it filled with Coral Bells, or Spring blooming bulbs.  I may plant some bulbs in mine in a week or so.


This is the last of the blooming flowers in our yard.  My Lancifolia Hosta is the first one to come up in the Spring, and the last one to bloom.  A lot of my other hostas have already turned yellow and shriveled to the ground.  When my other hostas come up and bloom, I can't wait to cut their flower stalks off - on the other hand, I leave these on.  I like that they are a light airy, arching bloom, as apposed to the others that stick straight up from the plant. 


Thank you to Jean for hosting Bloomin' Tuesday.  While our weather has been beautiful, I'm afraid there won't be too many more Tuesday's with new flowers blooming.  Check out Jean's blog for more beautiful gardens.


12 comments:

  1. Wow ! The photos of the hawks are incredible! I love fall and the changes it brings in gardens. Loved the spring and fall photos -- so interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that ole' garden cart! You are so blessed to see the cycle of nature right in your own yard. That crabapple tree looks like a great wildlife magnet! Enjoy your blooms!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm going to have to come back and read this when I am not so rushed, but I just have to say that red-tailed hawk is magnificant! We have them here, too, but they are hard to see that closely!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great closeup pics of the hawks! That cart you got is wonderful! I want one too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those photos of the raptors are cool! Your new/old cart will look wonderful all planted up. There are not many flowers in my garden right now. I need to start posting again on my blog, I've been taking a long break.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi there I am visiting your site as another Our World Tuesday participant. I enjoyed have a look around your garden, our ice plant (sedum) is also in bloom here in Italy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My apologies I meant Bloomin Tuesday! I have joined so many memes this week as off travelling!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amazing hawk pictures! I love all your Friday Favorite garden art. Just my style. Love the garden cart and the laundry cart! Jean

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your flowers!! And hawk pictures! Bulbs would be perfect planted in the old garden cart--what a wonderful find!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So glad you found your cart! I know you have been on a hunt...love your blog as usual and will send you some pics of OUR flowers in December so you can be green with envy...hahaha!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The hawk pics are awesome! They must have been so much fun to watch. The cart has so much potential - I'm sure it will be fabulous once it's all planted!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Judy,
    I enjoyed seeing the changes in your trees and other plants. I am not looking forward to the killing freeze we are expecting this week.

    I love your wheelbarrow!

    I think it's a Cooper's hawk family we have at Lincoln High. I see birds of prey in the sky sometimes, but not in our yard.

    ReplyDelete