Sunday, June 26, 2011

Goodbye Pansies . . .


I'm not really crazy about Pansies, but I received some as a gift this year and they remind me why I should have them every year. One pot is getting really leggy, so I think they are pretty much fed up with the heat.

Their sweet little faces ~





The Rudbeckia are showing their faces throughout the yard ~


And the lilies continue to bloom and feed the Eastern Yellow Swallowtail ~


Sometimes the buds are almost as interesting as the flowers ~

Monarda ~
The is a new Coneflower. Pink Double Delight. The centers are supposed to look like a double bloom, instead of having the orange in the center . . . the jury's still out on this one. Maybe when the bloom gets larger - I don't know ~

The Daylilies are starting to bloom, but I think the weather has had an effect on everything. While there has been more than enough rain, we need more sun. The edge of my large flower bed was lined with Threadleaf Coreopsis and hardly any of it has come up. I don't know if that is due to the strange weather we've had - or the rabbits. The rain does make for easy weed pulling though.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Judy,
    I enjoyed seeing your blooms. I like getting pansies as soon as they start selling them in the spring. Usually mine make it through the summer, but last year they didn't. Mine are doing OK so far this year. I am finally starting to see some butterflies.

    Call me when you want to to another yard tour.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am already missing working in my flower beds-I don't think the new neighbors have so much as pulled one weed!!! Hope to be able to grow a little something tropical in the Philippines and plan to get pictures...your yard is awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know what you mean about pansies...after the get leggy, they aren't so nice.

    I tried cutting mine back, to see what would happen, but they are pretty much still leggy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love pansies too. .but I'm tight enough that I don't think they give a lot of bang for their bucks!! This year, mine would have croaked the first 100 temp we hit in May!! I wish we could share some sunshine with you as much as I'm sure you would love to share some rain with me! Enjoy your beautiful blooms!

    ReplyDelete